STREET MARKETING: The Future of Guerrilla Marketing & Buzz
How do brands cut through all the noise and get to the people who will engage with their products or services? How can a brand be memorable to the audience of socially savvy digital consumers?
“The Street is the umbilical cord that connects the individual to Society”
This quote by Victor Hugo predicts a future that he could not have imagined. We are still individuals and part of a greater society but we are not bound by borders, distance or time anymore. Humanity now exists both “online and offline” and this presents marketers with a number of places to reach their audiences.
Social Media has proven to be the most direct way to get consumers to re-play your messages, but to create a powerful impact on a variety of platforms, there needs to be something more. STREET MARKETING ™ is designed to make a memorable impression on the consumer by creating an immediate experience about the brand. The consumer is usually completely unaware he or she is part of a marketing operation. The street, or “offline” marketing operations are real, human and memorable and very effective in driving the message. Subtle or direct STREET MARKETING ™ has taken over where the old school “Guerrilla” marketing left off by “touching customers as they go about their daily lives”.
Dr. Marcel Saucet is a visiting professor of marketing at University of San Diego, has co-written Harvard Business School papers and recently published his third book on the subject. This lively Frenchman has created a variety of unique campaigns that engage and challenge the consumer in new and innovative ways by meeting them as they walk to work, take a bus or sit on a park bench.
Dr. Saucet calls it “High-jacking” the urban world of the streets to implement your marketing message in an endless number of creative ways. His infectious energy as a public speaker reminds you that marketing is not boring; it’s about innovation, taking calculated risks, running a successful ‘on the ground ‘operation that will guarantee your best results.
About the Author: Dr. Saucet shares his “Top 10 Tips” for creating a successful operation to help you with your own small business campaigns. Of course, these tips apply to any type of campaign, large or small.
The ‘ Do’s & Don’ts’ of a successful STREET MARKETING ™ Campaign
- DO BRAINSTORM about ideas with your team with and consider any and all ideas as you begin.
- DO USE YOUR CREATIVITY to gather ideas that the competition hasn’t considered.
- DON’T BE AFRAID OF A NEW IDEA, it will make the most impact on the Consumer.
- DO USE EXTERIOR URBAN FURNITURE or ELEMENTS from common URBAN SPACES.
- DO USE NEW MARKETING TOOLS to enhance your STREET CAMPAIGN STRATEGY.
- DO DEFINE YOUR OBJECTIVES to clarify your OPERATION NEEDS and BUDGET.
- DO REHEARSE YOUR PROGRAM or STREET CAMPAIGN in advance to be prepared for SPONTANEOUS RESULTS
- DO KEEP YOUR EYE ON REALITY such as the Budget, Objectives and be sure its FUN!
- DON’T Set Everything in Stone, be prepared to RESPOND TO CHANGES when they APPEAR.
- DO HIJACK EXISTING MEDIA Platforms to gain media attention to amplify your campaign using a variety of channels.
ARTIFICE ATELIER: Join our Blog and Twitter Feed for UP to the Moment Marketing, Brand and Backstage News on the cross-section of Art, Culture, Digital and Branding.
About Dr. Marcel: His new book, STREET MARKETING ™ “The Future of Guerrilla Marketing and Buzz” is now available on AMAZON. com.*Quotes used by permission from the Introduction of the book. Publisher: ABC-CLIO LLC, available as an ebook: http://www.abc-clio.com